Looking to build or edit your Cap Table... here's what we'll cover in this guide:
- How to create your Cap Table on the platform?
- How to edit your Incorporation or Historical Rounds?
- How to add extra Historical Rounds?
- How to add an investor to a Historical Round?
- Why is the Cap Table showing an error with my nominal value?
1. How to create your Cap Table on the platform?
Once you’ve clicked on the Shares section, on the left-hand side of your screen, click on “start”, then:
- Enter in the name of your share class. If the founders have “Ordinary” shares on Companies House, make sure they have “Ordinary” shares on your SeedLegals Cap Table.
- Check the boxes if you’d like the selected share class to have voting or dividend rights - usually Ordinary shares have voting rights, dividend rights and transfer rights.
- Add in your initial shareholders and their shareholding from your incorporation - e.g. if Jane Smith has 400 Ordinary shares on Companies House, she needs to have 400 Ordinary shares on SeedLegals.
- Lastly add in the nominal value of shares - e.g. if it’s £0.01 on Companies House, it needs to be £0.01 on SeedLegals. It’s really important that this is correct, any mismatch can cause major problems later.
2. How to edit your Incorporation or Historical Rounds?
If you need to edit your incorporation round or another historical round because you’ve entered something wrong, then:
- Click on the Shares section on the left-hand side
- Click on view “By Event”:
- Scroll down to the round you’d like to amend and click on the pencil on the top right of the incorporation box, then click on “Edit”
- To edit the number of shares of a shareholder, click on the pencil next to each shareholder’s name:
3. How to add extra Historical Rounds?
In order to model previous funding rounds or team equity issuance events that have happened since incorporation, you’ll have to add extra Historical Rounds.
To add a Historical Round on the platform:
- Go to the Shares section on the left-hand side
- Click on the three dots in the top right corner
- Click on “Add Historical Round” - make sure the date of your Historical Round corresponds to the date you issued the shares.
If you are looking to issue equity to your co-founders and team members, without already having filed this with Companies House, you’ll be able to do that using our Issue Shares product (Shares section > “Issue Shares” tab top right of the page).
Here is a step by step guide to issuing shares to your co-founders and team members.
If you are looking to issue equity ahead of the funding round please see this guide on how to give equity to your co-founders and team.
Hints, tips and other useful guides:
- If you have created an Options Pool you can add that to your Historical Round - note, option owners aren’t shown on the cap table.
- Have a look at this guide here on how to add a Company Investor
- Once you build your cap table on the platform you can also issue share certificates to your shareholders!
- How do I add an Investor to a Historical Round?
Looking to edit your historical round by adding an investor? Here’s how:
Once you’ve set up your historic round on the platform, and if you want to add another investor:
- Go to the Shares section (left-hand corner) > View "By Event"
- Click on the pencil icon in the top right section of the round
3. Click ‘Add Shareholder’ on the bottom left
5. Why is the Cap Table showing an error with my nominal value?
The Cap Table will show ‘Your share nominal value does not match the price per share at incorporation(£_)’ if your nominal value in a later round is different to your nominal value at incorporation.
Have a look here to find out the difference between a share’s nominal value and the round price per share.
How to fix this?
Click on the little pencil next to the share nominal value and make sure it matches the share nominal value of the incorporation round.
So your nominal value will remain the same for every share issued in the company and will only change if you complete a Share Split or a Share consolidation.