HMRC requires companies to register their EMI Option Scheme using an online service. This how you can tell HMRC about your EMI Options Scheme:
- Sign in using your Government Gateway account: Follow this link, scroll down to “Tell HMRC” and log in with your company’s details.
- Click on the ‘Employment Related Securities’ (may also be seen as ‘ERS Online Service’ under the ‘Other Services’ tab).:
Then, click on ‘Register a scheme or arrangement’.
3. Once you are prompted to the following page, click on ‘ Enterprise Management Incentives (EMI)’ and then click on ‘Next’:
4. Select the tax year of your scheme (note that the tax year runs from 6 April to 5 April the next year. You then have until midnight on 6 July to submit your EMI annual return). Choose a name for your scheme, and then you may be asked to enter your UTR and the CRN. Once done, click ‘Next’.
5. You will now be presented with an outline of the information you have entered. Click ‘Confirm’ if these are correct.
6. Complete the ‘Declaration’ page.
7. You should now be able to see the ‘Acknowledgment’ page. Your EMI Scheme is now successfully registered! Once you receive a reference number from HMRC, you will be able to make the notifications of the EMI Option grants to HMRC. This normally takes around 24 hours.
If you have any further questions and want to reach out to HMRC about your EMI Scheme, here’s some useful contact information: